Sunday, April 19, 2015

My biggest 'baby'

As the end of preschool draws near, I am very aware of how big my 'baby' is getting!
Thankfully, if I say something like this...he will remind me, "Mama, I will always be your baby...no matter if I get really big!"


I think the thing that always catches me off guard is how much he knows. He is very perceptive to what is being done and said around him. If it is within hearing or seeing distance, he will almost always bring it up at some point.
This is how he interprets the Bible, and how he can remember the stories read to him. I often can learn from him due to either the questions that make me think harder or from what it is he says from his view point. There really is something to "child-like faith".
Recently, a man in our church died. He is the father of one of the girl's in our youth group that has baby sat Christian before. After I heard the news, he asked, "What happened, mama?" 
me: "Kaitlyn's daddy died. He was in an accident, and he died."
Christian: "Oh....that's sure too bad. That's really bad." (pause) "Well, it IS bad for us here on the land..but it IS good that is in Heaven. The rest of us just have to wait our turn."
me: "You're right Christian, he is in Heaven and that will be a wonderful place to get to go."
Christian: "Yeah, I don't even think I'll want to take ANY toys!" pause "Well, maybe I could just take ONE toy."


He has entered a new role as self appointed "Junior Parent". Oh my goodness, he just thrives off of telling Noah what he should or shouldn't be doing...hovering over every move at times, just waiting to correct him. It drives me crazy. I don't know how many times during the day I say "Christian, worry about yourself." "Who's the parent?" and finally I ask if he would like to do other parenting, such as changing diapers, etc. Poor guy, just can't help himself somedays! It really gets interesting when Noah is aware of his hovering presence and intentionally does things to make him go bonkers. Ah, brothers.
I like to remember the moments when they look at books together, color together, build together...and just giggle like crazy. But those other moments are very real and present as well.

This particular morning of driving their 'cars' around the yard, was the morning they ended up down the road while I was inside feeding Jonah. It was not a good morning for me. I sat Christian down and discussed why it was dangerous for several reasons, and he was SOBBING. I'd like to think that it sunk in..but I'm not so sure with the reasoning, "Noah wanted to keep going"..that I will trust them outside by themselves for awhile.


Sharing his troubles with Daddy. Poor guy. He really can get bent out of shape, and have a hard time letting go (don't we all sometimes!). I'd like to blame it on needing a nap, or being hungry...which maybe add to it..but in reality, its just one of those things that we need to work on. A lot of reminding to "be happy with the things you have", "be grateful, be thankful", "treat others as you wanted to be treated." But alas, sometimes words just don't fix the troubles, and you just have to cry it out or hug it out!


A month or so ago, he decided he wanted to read "This Old House" magazine while he went to the bathroom. He often likes to look at some kind of book, and be left alone for quite some time to take care of business. And his conversations on going to the bathroom, that he takes very seriously..are just about too much for me to not laugh at him. (Having to sit a certain way and what not.) Anyways, he was very certain that the small papers within the magazine were coupons that were for whatever the picture was. It was the cutest thing, how he just knew that's what they were for.... I took a short video of him explaining. I often don't have the heart to correct him, he's so innocent and has the most genuine thoughts that he will be out of that phase all too soon!

He is playful. He can have a very good imagination and can play so nice. One of his favorite things to do is to tickle (especially Grandpa!). Oh, how he will giggle if he gets a rise out of someone from tickling or "getting" them. He is all for dressing up for a reason, on this particular day it was "Wacky Wednesday" at school. For Valentines, family birthday parties, etc..he chooses his 'fancy' clothes, usually complete with dress shoes. On any other day, he will be the first to request wearing shorts as his first option (as well as flip flops)...and Praise the Lord for warmer weather so that I can say yes without going through the explanation as to why he can't yet!


He has a tender heart. 
Yes, he has his moments of being rough and 'snatching' toys away from his brother. He is a softy at heart. He will let us know if he is sad, he may be confused as to how/why he came to that feeling (aka blaming someone else for "making" him sad), but simply relaying how he is feeling is more than some adults can do. He genuinely asks about people, prays for people, and is concerned if someone he loves looks to be sad. He wants to fix their sadness. He is a good hugger, smoocher, and always ends the day with "I love you's for everyone." He loves when I "talk" for Jonah at bedtime, and he will carry on a lengthy conversation (it is quite hilarious sometimes).

He loves to be active and outdoors. Jumping on the trampoline, digging in the dirt, swinging, playing baseball, playing in the sand pile, finding worms...he loves it all. With daily allergy medicine, we can be outside most days...I enjoy Kansas for many things, but the allergens that pester this poor child are not one of them! 
He can also be a very good helper. Going to the grocery store with the three boys, was only possible with him pushing the mini shopping cart, and using that to hold the majority of our groceries.
He is getting so big (not so much in width), but definitely in length! He loves any opportunity to get to go play at Grandma's house. He has been doing better about at least saying, "hi" to me when I pick him up from preschool before asking if he can "go to Grandma's today?"

Christian, you are a funny, growing boy. I truly do enjoy spending time with you...and I like that your 'wheels' are always spinning. You're smart and witty, and I love you all the way to space and back (that's what we say to each other at bedtime!). You surely are growing into a big boy, but as you say..you'll always be my baby!