I would say this is the third "major" improvement to our house since we've moved in last fall. The first was getting a new furnace/air conditioner and the second was getting the lighting/electrical situation changed over. Both of those were big deals, but we had professionals do the job. So, this project is the first big project that 'we' did ourselves.
Let me clarify 'we'...Ben, Phil and Sam.
Here's a picture of the side of the house before the project began (well, we had already torn out the bushes)
1. Ben dug his little heart out. He started on Monday, and had almost the entire first hole dug out I think it was 6 feet deep x 6 feet wide.
2. On Tuesday Ben's family came. Phil did ALOT of digging as well. He dug the second window hole.
3. Sam dumped the dirt that Ben and Phil dug from the holes, around the house. We were needing to get a significant amount of dirt to pour around the house anyway since there was a negative slope.
4. For the start of Wednesday, they had put up wood where the cement would be cut through. Ben tore down the wall, and pulled back the carpet in the bedrooms downstairs as it would get quite messy.
5. The very odd man whose job is to cut through cement came and did just that. I don't think I'm going out on too much of a limb to say he's not a Type A person..seeings that he cut pretty much where he thought it should be. A bit risky if you ask me, afterall it is a WALL of our house he's cutting through! Luckily he did an alright job, not a square job, but the size was about right.
6. They framed up the openings to make them square for the windows.
7. Installing the windows!
8. Ben and Phil went to Wichita to pick up the window wells and other supplies to finish the job.
And here is the "almost" finished look to the egress windows! The dirt needs to be filled in yet, and the top needs to be secured in place. I must say...I am impressed!
Thank you to Ben's family for coming to help!