Thursday, August 6, 2015

Christian [6 years]

Christian...
here is an overview of YOU!

You are a helper.
You like to help Daddy with projects outside. You like to help me in the kitchen (especially if you get to crack eggs) and you literally ask if you can dust pretty regularly. You also help with the chickens. You 'herd' them for me...and it is both because you are good at it and because its hilarious that I watch you do this. You will 'bawk' like a chicken and try and sneak behind them to get them in their house.

You are funny.
You can come up with some wild ideas. However, the older you are getting, the more cautious you are about 'just how silly' the idea may be. Sometimes, you have deemed yourself "shy" or get embarrassed if others are watching.

You are a builder.
You construct all kinds of things with various materials. In the van, you tied up all the play scarves and connected them across the seats. You can get things really rigged up...making it hard to undo! You have also been building an array of things with your new tool kit. You are very good at using a hammer and nails. Robots, boats, cars...you will go out on the front porch and say, "I'm just going to work on a new creation."

You LOVE to swim. 
I think if we let you, you would stay in the pool all day every day. You love to swim. You wear your goggles always, and since your birthday, you wear your flippers too. And you are FAST! I don't know how you have the energy to keep going as long as you do, since you can't touch in Grandpa and Grandma's pool...you're a little fish. And you love it when Grandpa comes in to "dunk" you!

You are a great big brother.
You are really good about looking out for Jonah...distracting him when he needs it, guiding him away from small toys, or just loving on him. You seem to have an increased amount of tolerance for him, as you do the lack of tolerance for Noah most of the time. Perhaps, that has something to do with the fact that Jonah doesn't talk or play with most of your toys yet. Either way, overall you are a good big brother. 

Big brother/Oldest child/Very Determined.
I'm not sure what to really call it...but you have some serious opinions about how things should be played with. This picture of you and Noah playing with the airplane is the definition of how you relate to him quite often. You just have a hard time letting him 'pretend' or say things you know to be not quite right. It is very hard for you to just let it go or let him be wrong without correcting him in a bossy kind of way.You like to parent and make sure fairness is taking place...you hear plenty of reminders throughout the day. I will say, Noah is probably one of your biggest fans..he loves you dearly! And I know you love him too...because you LOVE having a playmate for many things. When it comes down to it, and you know you hurt his feelings, it really does bother you and you make it right by apologizing and offering a "fist bump or high five" to make amends. You also have plenty of moments that you enjoy each other...one of my favorite things to watch is you 'read' books to him in your own way. I really do think/know/hope that you will figure out the balance between playmate, brother and friend. However, I don't expect you to have it all figured out at 6 years old, don't worry!

You are a kind inquisitive and sensitive
Your smile can melt my heart, and your laugh is like no other...so contagious. You have a heart for others. When you hear of others misfortune, you truly offer your sincerest concern. You love to have the Bible read to you, and you often reference stories from the Bible that remind you of things going on. You can remember things SO well, I often wonder how such a small boy can hold SO much information in his memory and pull it out on a whim. You ask many many questions, and will tell me, "its because I'm so curious," if I give you a hard time for asking about things. With the combination of your memory and curiosity...you are very sharp and tuned in to what's going on.


 You are playful.
You love to be active. Baseball, soccer, basketball, golf, digging in the dirt/sand, climbing, swinging, blowing bubbles, riding bike, running, swimming, jumping on the trampoline, playing Legos, reading books, and coloring are all some of your favorite things to do. You are a joy to be around, Christian. You don't really enjoy playing by yourself, you thrive off being around others. You would rather follow than lead in a group of your own peers.

I am blessed to be your mama, Christian. I love you so much. You keep my mind fresh..always wondering how to answer in the best way. You keep my faith renewed...watching you grow to know and learn about God, reminds me in an even deeper way what an awesome God He is. You keep me laughing...I just never quite know what you're going to come up with that can truly make me laugh out loud. You show me love...in a way that is honest, sincere, and genuine. You are my baby (my six year old baby...who is not at all a baby)..but you are mine, and that will never change.

And here is the little "interview" I had with you just before your birthday....

Christian’s Birthday Interview (July 31, 2015)
What is your name? Christian Hershberger
How old are you? Five
What is your favorite thing to do? Play hot wheels
What do you want to be when you grow up? Be a carpenter, or a scuba diver, or firefighter.
What is your favorite song? “Its Going Down…Timber.”
What is your favorite game? Baseball
What is your favorite food? Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches [your favorite food/drinks that you didn't say: ice cream, haystacks, hamburgers, root beer, gum]
Who do you like to spend time with? Owen
What do you do really well? Climb (monkey bars and stuff)
What makes you laugh? Kade, Noah, movies sometimes
What do you like best about being the oldest brother? I like that I get to do a lot of stuff…play the Wii, the IPad, go swimming, go under water
What is the best time of the day? When I can go outside
What are you afraid of? Spiders and dark
Who is your best friend? Owen
What do you like to do with your family? Go on vacation
What do you love to learn about? animals (‘aminals')
Where do you like to go? The beach
What is your favorite book? The Bible (When I said, "that's nice" he looked at me and said, "But Mama, I really DO like the Bible." I think he thought I didn't really believe he meant it, and that I was implying that was a nice thing to just 'say'.)
If you had one wish what would it be? To get more hot wheels 

What do you think you’ll get to do when you are SIX years old? Go to Kindergarten

No comments: