Thursday, June 25, 2015

Forever moment

Today was special.
It was an ordinary day, of sorts. But I think without knowing it, there were several moments I said to myself, "I want to remember this." I realized I didn't take any pictures...but I'm okay with that, as I'm not always sure pictures are the best way to make memories..rather embracing the moment for what they are.

...............................

This morning, I rocked Jonah to sleep (well three times...but that was Noah's doing in being what he thought was hilarious, by bursting in his room with a loud bam on the door with a huge grin on his face followed by loud pitter-patter running back down the hallway with giggles from Noah. I told them to stay out, and I'd be out soon. Back to my nice, sweet moment of rocking. Noah comes to the door, opens it and announces "I did poop." I mouthed to him, "ok, I will change you in a minute, go back out there." To which he replies with the most hilarious, and ridiculous 2 year old way of mouthing words, some form of reply. He went out for a moment, and then started running up and down the hallway, the third run was the finale with the BAM on the door. I quickly laid Jonah down, changed Noah's diaper, and then had some conversations with two nap invaders. Although I was not pleased with the outcome of Noah's actions...he is certainly hard to stay upset with as the way he says things is so funny. "I did do it. Jonah woke UP!!! Jonah is a baby." I'm still unsure if Christian was the mastermind for today's shenanigans. He certainly has been in the past. When I asked him, he said, "no, I did not, and this time I am telling the truth." After a couple more questions about it, knowing his track record, he replied with, "Mama, I just am telling the truth. I read it in the Bible yesterday night with Daddy, and now I recognize that lying is bad. Before I just knew it and my mind didn't listen, but now I recognize I shouldn't do that." Oh my...I was defeated by two of the best, in trying to get some answers. The one..is just too funny in his way of saying anything...the other, a debater pulling the Bible to back his story. Bottom line: Jonah didn't take a nap..and it didn't really matter in the long run. BUT...but for the five whole minutes prior to them interrupting the first attempt to lay him down when he was sweetly laying in my arms and I was rocking him. That moment is originally what I wanted to capture in my mama heart, as a forever moment in time. In truth, the whole thing is probably something I'll wish could be the 'case' in 5 years. 


In the afternoon, we went to Mom and Dad's to go swimming. Ben was already over there, painting the shop. As we pull into the drive we see him painting...no words needed, a forever moment in time. 

Christian, Noah, Mom and I got in the pool. Christian of course, will just help himself to the water with ease. Noah, is more reluctant about it as a rule. He usually hangs out on the step area, or goes in the inflatable pool. Today he wanted me. And although I know he loves me, he is not one to openly show affection unless it involves a baby or small child. But today, he did, and oh that makes my heart happy. My mama heart was overfilled with love. He kept with this wanting 'mama' for most the afternoon. I'm not sure if he just doesn't know how to verbalize he misses me when I'm at work and this is his way...but regardless, this was a forever moment in time.

We ate supper at Water's Edge with Grandpa John. Christian ate like he was a growing man...not quite, but he ate 3 1/2 tacos before saying, I think I'm full now. Noah on the other hand, was not interested in eating, but more interested in going around the table in 'Duck Duck Goose' fashion, and peeking his head around the side of their chair to say their name in the silliest way he could. Oh, he is a goof. And he was cautious at first, getting more and more comfortable with the idea...and then added the grab at Grandpa John's arm when he say, "Grandpa JOHN!!" I love his playful spirit, a forever moment in time.

When we got home, I needed to mow a little to finish off the yard. Christian came outside by himself, while Jonah and Noah were getting baths from Ben. I didn't realize he came out, but as I looked up from mowing I wanted to stop and just watch him as he was swinging on the swing. Some days he seems like such a little boy to me, and other days he's growing up way too fast...but in this moment, I just saw the innocence of my five-year old boy on a warm summer night just enjoying being little. It melts my heart thinking of him big. I know there will be MANY more special moments to come..but I know all too soon, he will outgrow the little boy phase, and I want this to be a forever moment in time.

Christian also helped me in the garden, dig potatoes. I love the conversations, and the desire to be a team as he helps. His reaction when I said, "oooh, we hit the jackpot!" was priceless as he had never heard that before. So as we dug into another area where there were several potatoes to be picked out, he was so pleased to say, "I can't believe we found two potato jackpots!" Not even so much the words as it is the sparkle in his eyes, I love seeing happiness in him. A forever moment in time.

And lastly, as we ended our day. I again fed and rocked Jonah to sleep, one of my very favorite things to do. And it just makes everything feel right, at peace, when I have one of my beautiful sleeping boys in my arms. And just how perfectly snug Jonah wraps against me, my mama heart swells with love. To complete this, Christian gets out of bed 10 minutes after they had all been tucked in, simply to ask if he could have a drink and if I would rock him. I never will turn down this question if I am able to do it. And for Christian to ask...I know there just won't be many more times before he literally will not even fit on my lap (he may be is only 5, but he a tall little guy!) So we rocked, and I held him, and I loved every second..so much. Both very treasured forever moments in time.

So as this is probably a very basic day...
it was a very good day, that held many special moments that I want my heart to hold forever. 

No comments: