Wednesday, January 19, 2011

healthy as a horse

So...just a recap on the health status of this Hershberger home for the last several months. Ben...tip top shape..his norm. Come to think of it, I don't think I've witnessed him get sick in the years we've known each other. Christian..he has had a few days of a runny nose here and there. More than anything, usually he gets these when his teeth are coming in...but I think that's pretty typical. This last week he had a fever for several days, I took him to the doctor and they said it was just viral..sure enough he hasn't had a fever for over 24 hours now. His overall health is such a blessing.
As far as I go...well, I normally wouldn't write anything on something such as this...but #1 it has been a pretty big part of life the last couple months and #2 I AM SO GLAD TO BE BETTER! So the brief summary of my health is I got a cough, a gross one a couple months ago (probably somewhere the beginning of November of so). A couple weeks went by, it got even worse and chest tightening, so I went to the doctor. I took an antibiotic...it didn't do anything, except I discovered I was allergic to it...so then I tried steriods..nothing. So then, they prescribed another antibiotic...10 days...nothing. I tried all kinds of cough medicines, and at work they gave me a breathing tx...nothing helped! I waited a couple more weeks just to see...it gets even worse so I see the doctor a second time, get a chest xray (it was fine), do some respiratory studies (it showed borderline obstruction, which I guess doesn't mean much), get a third prescription for antibiotic (which was by far the most expensive and big daddy of antibiotics I have ever taken) and a stronger round of steroids. All the while, no real answer as to why I have the super annoying, strong, cough.  I felt better for a couple days...and then it was back to the same old story. I tried to think of everything...we had a new furnace installed (that didn't change anything), I shook out all the blinds (since we had scraped off the ceiling not ALL of the stuff had gotten off) and that didn't help, I received a new vacuum for Christmas so I've been using it very faithfully, you get the point.
So the last time I had gone to the doctor was the middle of December...and then...last week sometime I noticed it was getting PRETTY sore on my right side when I coughed. This only got more intense each day. On Sunday I was certain I would rather go through childbirth without any drugs than to cough the way I felt. I took some leftover pain medicine from when I had Christian and I was out for the rest of the day (which I was just glad that I stopped coughing). Monday I got into a different doctor, told him my story...he thought it sounded like my lungs had gotten an infection, I never got over it and now they've been irritated ever since and the coughing is due to bronco spasms. He took another chest xray which looked alright..and he said I  have a couple cracked ribs from the coughing...hence the crazy pain on the right side. The good news in all of this is he prescribed the right medication in a inhaler that has STOPPED THE COUGHING!!!! Therefore, I feel like I'm healthy as a horse and I am oh so happy. I feel my ribs..they remind me they are still not normal on a minute to minute basis...but that's just fine because now they can heal since I'm not coughing. Hallelujah, praise Jesus, AMEN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO glad you're feeling better!