Sunday, November 15, 2015

Noah's Narratives

Hearing his newly three year old self say things like "amazing", "incredible", "interesting" (said 'intresting') and "ridiculous" to describe things can instantly bring a smile to my face. The other day, he was looking through a catalog (a toy one) for Christmas ideas. He came to a page and said in awe, "whoa! This is in-CRED-ible. Look at this!! It is Ah-MAZ-ing!!!" (It was a page with all things that glowed in the dark!) 
..................................
He has quickly learned from his big brother the word-age in terms of "playing nice". I will often hear them tell each other back and forth..."Jesus said.....". And occasionally, Noah will come to me and say, "Shis-shen is being mean (said with the poutiest and sad little face). And Jesus says to be NICE in the Bible. We be NICE!"
..................................
What is your name? "Noah". What is your full name? "Noah Hersgerber"
..................................
The other morning, he came into our room and stood by my head. I had him crawl in bed with me, as Ben had already left for work. He looked around and asked "Where's Daddy?" I told him he was at work. "Oh, he's a work?" So we go about our morning, eat breakfast, etc. I'm in the kitchen, and he comes in the room, and says, "Where's Ben?"
"Who's Ben?"
"Ben is Daddy."
"Oh, well, we just call him Daddy. He is your Daddy, and Christian and Jonah's Daddy."
"Oh, well he IS Ben."

(I couldn't help but laugh.)
..................................
At bedtime, we go through a process. Christian and Noah usually have there routine...brushing their teeth, climbing into bed, Ben reads a Bible story, and then tucks them in with a story. Somewhere in there I stop in with Jonah and tell them goodnight (as well as have Jonah say "goodnight"). Lately, Noah has been requesting "I hug Jonah", and it is about enough to melt my heart. Jonah knows exactly what's going on...he leans his head down onto Noah, and Noah gives him a hug around the neck...and then they stay like that for a brief moment. Oh, its so sweet. Tonight, he was hugging him and says, "Oh, I just love you SO much, Jonah." (Goodness, I treasure these moments.)
..................................
He has started the process of potty training. I just put him in underwear the other day and we went with it. Knowing he needed to poop, and he refused to go while he sat on the toilet...I just decided to leave his diaper off and see if he would follow through with letting me know when the time was 'right'. Sure enough, after a little bit, I saw him standing by the front door looking guilty as ever. I asked him "Noah, did you poop?" 
"No."
"Noah, did you go poop?"
"Yes."
"Where?"
"Over 'dere'. On the floor. Clean it up." (pointing in the direction of his room and the bathroom...and SO sassy!)
"Show me."
"See!"
Sure enough, on the floor in the bathroom. "But you were SO close to the toilet, next we need to go IN it!"
"Oh."
..................................
I said to him today, "Child! You need to go to the bathroom in the potty!!"
He looks at me with his smile, and says, "I not child."
"What? Why not."
"I not CH-ild. I am NOAH. My name is not child. That's a funny name."
....................
 When discussing colors, this poor boy is just stubborn.
He is becoming very good at coloring in general. He colors in the lines, changes colors for the small differences within the pictures, etc. BUT, when it comes to naming the color, he often doesn't even refer to it by a color name.
When I point to a green object, or crayon and ask him, "What color is this?"
"That is the same color as grass (or a tree, or a frog, or a variety of other green things he can think of)."
"But what color is it?"
"I already told you."
This will go on and on, each color he will have a reference for, but not a name.

Every now and then, he'll play my game and he'll tell me. He's usually right about red. Blue is almost ALWAYS referred to as 'water', and yellow is almost always called pink.
.......................................
 One more bathroom related one, since we have been spending ALOT of time in the bathroom...with little progress.
Potty words (not trashy potty words, but literal) are fascinating to Noah and Christian, I don't really get why...well I do, but I don't. I guess its the thrill of the reaction. The only time I say they can say potty related words is while they are going. And if they choose to while they are in their room, just to be funny...they get to go sit on the toilet for a bit since that must mean they have to go.
While Noah was on the toilet the other day, he said something about poop.
I told him that's fine, when he's in the bathroom he can talk about bathroom things... and he should probably go ahead and go poop now.
So then, he said went through EVERY possible thing he could see in the bathroom as options that he can say while on the toilet.
"And I can talk about towels on the toilet.....and I can talk about showers on the toilet...and I can talk about rugs on the toilet...and I can talk about...." and on, and on, and on.
However, on this particular day...the distraction of talking about ALL these things for QUITE some time worked! So whatever it takes, I'm game. 

No comments: