Thursday, March 19, 2015

Visiting Great Grandpa Birky

Last week, very last minute I went with Mom and the boys to MN to visit my grandpa. Mom was planning on going all along, and then when she asked if I would like to..I said I would..but I had to work. That was going to be my answer if I could find someone to fill my hours scheduled...and within a couple hours I had it covered. 
It was a good week to go for us, Christian had spring break from preschool and Ben was going to have parent-teacher conferences on Monday and Tuesday evening.

So, we headed out Sunday afternoon and drove to Sioux Falls for the night. Noah was a pistol to get to sleep...finally, after a phone call to Daddy to sing the special Spanish lullaby song...he went to sleep! You'd never guess the little angel, sleeping so nice and sweet next to his big brother would be so difficult.

 We left the next morning around 9:45 or so. Christian and Noah were good little travelers. Jonah, on the other hand, decided to show his severe grouchy side during this trip. Yikes. Homeboy was not excited about the car seat for that long, and he let us know it! But again, look here just as sweet as can be when he got out of it for a break. 

We stopped at Fleet Farm in Fargo on the way, and both Christian and Noah got Vikings ball caps. Oh my...they were pumped.

We got to Grandpa's place around 3:00. Jonah met his Great Grandpa for the first time and Noah didn't waste anytime making friends with him. We stayed at his place for awhile, and then went to supper with him. Afterwards, we went to Tam (my cousin) & Cal's for the night. 

Two of their grandchildren were spending the night. Christian and Lydia are both quite the conversationalists...they are very entertaining how they can carry on. And Christian had the understanding that Caleb's name was "K-Love", as in the Christian radio station we listen to. He said to me, "Isn't that neat, his name is K-Love..I know that, its the radio we listen to." 
We had a nice time at their house, and we had the best monkey bread in the morning. Oh yum. We also got to meet the newest little grandbaby in the morning, Colden...he is pretty sweet.

Before going back to Grandpa's, we stopped by the church and showed Christian where Grandma was buried. That was another conversation that was just so hard to explain, "Well, how is she in Heaven if she is buried? Is her skin just down there?" 
We went inside the church just to show him what it looked like too.

We took Grandpa to Perkins for lunch. He drew pigs on the coloring sheet for Noah. And Christian had a special meal of rainbow sprinkle pancakes!

 We went back to his place for a bit, and then we all went to my Aunt Carol & Kenny's home.
 The boys liked all the fun "rides" Grandpa gave them...on Jazzy and his recliner that lifted up.

The boys played and played in Carol's basement. Lots of toys that they could get out! We went on a walk outside was very nice weather surprisingly. The snow had been busy melting over the past several days.

The next day, we went into town to a few stores, and then picked up Grandpa to come back to Carol's house. That afternoon my Aunt Margie flew in from Canada, she stayed at Carol's too.

This was the best we could get of a four-generation picture.

That evening Carol had the siblings over for supper. Stanley took Grandpa home... and just prior to bed, Christian and Noah started to play with their Great Uncle David. Oh my....Noah and Christian both giggled so much. They loved it. 

To top off their night, they were read a book by their Great Aunt Margie...and ate many handfuls of caramel popcorn. Noah would get down mid story for "mo popcorn" and promptly climb back up to listen to the story again.

We left around 10:00 Thursday morning. We made it home just before 11:00 that night. And oh boy, it was nice not to be in a van, or strapped down to carseats for some. Daddy was glad to see us too!

I was glad for the opportunity to go with Mom. It was nice to visit Grandpa and the other family we were able to stay with/see while we were there.

No comments: